Discovering Ray Eames



A while back, I wrote about the trailer to the documentary Eames: The Architect and The Painter and last week I managed to watch it. It was pretty fascinating in many ways but the aspect of the story I was most intrigued by was the dynamic between the couple as a man and a woman. These days, in the media and exhibitions they are presented as a pair but it appears that for most of their careers it was all about him, and not so much about her.

It's a fairly charged time in Australia when it comes matters of sexism, so maybe that's why this storyline stood out to me. It really made me think about all the other 20th century female designers and artists that are still undervalued and under-promoted. Where are their stories and what can we learn from them? Do you know of someone I should know about? If so, let me know!

Read the original post here.

Picture: Eames with an early prototype version of The Toy that was made of cardboard triangles, outside the Eames house, 1951, as seen in Jason Cohn and Bill Jersey's documentary EAMES: The Architect and The Painter.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a huge Eames fan so I need to put this on my list. You always give out great movie recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Callie. Ive been loving your 'thoughts on Tuesday' series.

      Delete