Music for Mondayitis

Between 2000 and 2004 I was a tad obsessed with Jazz. I was a uni student working away on design projects 24 hours a day listening to three or four 'best of' cd's on repeat. I had no money (this was before $1.99 songs) and listened to a lot of sub-par filler jazz that I LOVED.

The love affair reached a break point when my third year typography project was to create a font. I wanted to make 'Jazz'. I listened for hours to be inspired and drew about a thousand various letters in response. But if you've ever tried to create a typeface you would know it is rip-the-skin-off-your-face frustrating. And when the project was handed in I also surrendered my love of Jazz. It had been killed.



Recently, I got into the Showtime series Homeland. I devoured the first season in 15 days. Oh me oh my is it spectacular. It also reignited the Jazz flame in my heart. Claire Danes' Carrie Mathison is big into jazz and the soundtrack of the show works with it.

In the pilot episode, Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk feature heavily along with not-new-but-new-to-me Tomasz Stanko Quintet. The song Terminal 7 really struck me so here it is along with So Nice from the album Dark Eyes.




And if you haven't seen Homeland, Ten is showing it on Australian FTA tv this year. 

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait for my first chance to yell "FUCK THIS SHIT" and stomp out of a room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't seen the show yet but everything i hear is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. @flashman yes!
    @punctuation mark go. watch. now. do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lizzie5:30 AM

    I've broken my foot and will be going into surgery in a couple of days so I've been trying to prepare as much as possible and this defineetly helped, but more importantly, it mad me laugh!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete